With the 2010 midterm elections a week away, each candidate continues to raise and spend money at a feverish pace. Excluding gubernatorial races, the chart below lists the top 10 fundraisers as of today. The number in brackets next to each candidate indicates the number of slots the candidate moved since late August, when the FEC database was last analyzed. Former wrestling executive Linda McMahon is atop the chart, which is a result of her investing over $41 million of her own money. This rate of spending, though, has not correlated with McMahon leading in the polls, as the latest polls of the Connecticut Senate race show Democratic candidate Richard Blumenthal with a double-digit lead over McMahon.
- Among the top 10 fundraisers, there are 7 Republicans and 3 Democrats.
- Both Sharron Angle and Carly Fiorina are new to the top 10 since late August. These two Republican candidates replaced Charlie Crist, an Independent Senate candidate in Florida, as well as Kirsten Gillibrand, a Democrat from New York.
- As of August 29th, Sharron Angle had only raised $3,546,644, but as the chart below shows, she is now 4th of all recipients with a war chest of $17,941,552. This means Angle has raised over $14 million in the last month and a half – by far the most of any candidate.
- Sharron Angle’s opponent Harry Reid, however, has still outspent her and these two candidates have about the same amount of cash on hand for the home stretch.
- There are 2 states in which both candidates of the same race are among the top 10 fundraisers – Nevada and California.